Skip to main content

updates are essential

HEY THERE.
i havent posted a blog in forever so i love just doing an update on recovery, life and the future.
okay so as many of you know i am starting university in 19 days. im studying childhood and early years development for 3 years and if all goes well i want to do a year pgce to become a primary school teacher.
recovery is fabulous. i learn more about myself everyday. i know i can be an emotional wreck sometimes as i naturally overthink everything but thats okay and i can accept that because after my hour of sobbing i realise that everything ive just been upset about is in my head. (my poor boyfriend is so confused when im crying without a reason) i push myself everyday. im fully recovered now and i class myself as 100% mentally and physically recovered but everyday little things i overcome really impress me. just stupid little things, but everytime i overcome something i feel more like myself.

im proud of myself. my parents where able to book a holiday to Greece together and not worry about leaving me alone (with my brother but hes currently in a very emotional relationship with his xbox) ive been trusted to make my own meals, get to work, go out when i want and go food shopping and look after myself really.
i remember they had a night out in manchester (40 minute drive) and they cancelled because my mum wouldnt leave me alone because she was scared i wouldnt have my breakfast alone. now here i am cooking myself food (okay crumpets, bacon and cereal is still chef quality) and looking after myself.

ive got a holiday to amsterdam in january for my boyfriends 21st birthday which shall be fab and i cant wait to eat pancakes and amsterdamish food (is that even a word).
i was asked to write an article on recovery really and writing it really reminded me just how much ive been through, how much everyone has been through on their own journeys. reminded me of what it was like to be inpatient, and how much it helped me. because sometimes when i look at it i dont see it as very helpful but it so so was!! i always remember the bad things, when  i was in hospital i got sent a card in the post and when i opened it it was actually a death threat and i had to be taken to the police and watched carefully and all this and i never found out who sent it, and it still bothers me. and the thing is i was in such a safe and secure place yet bad things could still happen. but the next day i woke up and some of the girls on the unit had found out and posted notes under my door being lovely as ever, complimenting me and leaving positive quotes, it just shows that people love and care for you and will help you out of your darkest times. i never let anything affect me like that again.

people want to help you. nobody wants you to feel alone. see i never regret or wish i could change having anorexia. its a disgutingly horrible illness and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy but personally, im glad i had to go through it. i wouldnt be who i am today without it. this sounds really weird and stupid i am aware but here me out. before i didnt udnerstand mental illnesses, i used to run out of cereal and be like 'eugh im so depressed' and when i actually started suffering from depression, i understood that having no coco pops wasnt even a problem compared to everything else. i didnt understand eating disorders, i thought it was just people who lost weight, i didnt know it had anything to do with the mind. until i suffered from one. see ive learnt so much, ive come along way and ive helped people, i can actualy think to myself and know ive helped someone, given them some form of motivation or inspiration (im not tooting my own horn, i just know from experience that when you get to see a recovered person living their life its so motivating) i understand now. i spent 5 months on a mental health unit with people suffering from all kinds of illnesses. schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, personality disorders, eating disorders, ocd and ptsd. i get it, i get how the mind works and i know now that people need help and support and awareness needs to be raised. i didnt before. ive raised money for charities and spread awareness through my own experiences that hopefully helped someone. i couldnt have done this without going through it myself. when i was diagnosed with anorexia i was told about 50% of people never recover. i was determined i was going to. i ignored what everyone said and i knew in myself that i would recover and be in that percentage. and its possible for everyone. 50% doesnt exist, everyone can recover. we are stronger than we think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

meal plans and minnie maud

oh the dreaded word, meal plan. for anyone that doesn't know what a meal plan is then let me explain it to you, you basically have to eat around 6 times a day, breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, tea and supper. When you're in hospital well in my case its certain foods, if you wanted a chocolate bar you couldn't have one, you had to have what was on the snack list, which was awful. like so bland, like a cup of milk, i don't like milk. but when you are at home and recovering the meal plans are so much more flexible, you can pick your own snacks and everything and its just so much more freeing! meal plans move up in calories (eugh i hate that word), you start off on a starter meal plan, which is basically designed to avoid re-feeding syndrome. its tiny amounts of food little and often, which is terrifying for someone just starting recovery. when you move on with recovery it becomes a lot easier, your meal plans become increased or decreased due to how

challenge that change

you are going to change, your body will change, your brain will change. this is fabulous, you shouldn't fear it. why be a bag of bones when you can have a bum, and boobs, and legs to die for and a healthy glowing face, and long thick hair like a lion and bright eyes and.. right you get the point. ask yourself, have you ever felt good enough? has loosing weigh ever made you feel good? has being severely underweight ever made you feel skinny or thin enough? no. your eating disorder feeds you lies. the worst part is that you believe them. your eating disorder is your friend right? wrong. when has it ever made you feel good, when has it ever showed you kindness. i cant count one time anorexia was my friend, or made me feel good about myself but i have lost count of how many times its put me down and made me feel terrible. learn to love yourself, you curves, your legs, your personality, your querky smile. you need to embrace it all. why live a life hating yourself whe

Loosing weight?

The heading looks misleading but it's a topic I've been thinking about a lot, let me explain. I've been physically and mentally recovered now for nearly 2 years and I've always either put on weight or stayed the same but now my body is settling into it normal life and my daily eating habits are changing with work and day trips. I've naturally lost weight, not drastic, it's literally just my body settling down and getting comfy, I think. But from past experiences it's so hard to deal with, not for me but for my family. My mum and dad become worried and are constantly egging me on to eat more and more, when I'm eating no less than I was before, it's just how my body has fluctuated. It's difficult to understand the minds of others, and rightfully they can be worried but they definitely don't need to. It's just trying to establish that trust with your family for them to not be worried, but they have single handingly seen me lie to their f