Skip to main content

My experience with inaptient units.

Well I was first an outpatient with CAMHS i.e the worst place on earth filled with mentally numb humans thinking they know best.
I was there about 4 times a week and each time all they did was weigh me and send me over to the hospital for an ecg and blood tests and blablabla they are awful basically.
So anyway, they repeatidly threatened me with a mental health unit but i kinda just pushed it away thinkkng it would never happen, so my weight kept dropping and i wasnt trying at recovery so they made a refferal, long story short i ende up in an adolescent mental health ward called Junction 17 in prestwhich, bloody terrifying.
I got admitted about 8oclock at night and i never ever left my house like i turned into some miserable person who wouldnt speak to her friends and spent all her time with her mum. (Aka bestfriend, oh and my dad) so i then had tto move into this room that was suprisingly lovely (heated flooring, heaven for me who is always freezing) and spend every moment alone, whilst dealing with one of the mosg challenging things i would ever face, food.
So, i actually can not physcially remember my first 2 months on the unit, like literally nothing! When i eas discharged i asked the nurses why that was and they said it was because anorexia was so strong i had no thought pattern. But apparently i never left my room and just cried 24/7 until i was threatened to be NG tube fed, i did not want that!
I spent a full 24 hours in hospital unfer observation durin my time there and i never ever wanted to go back! My unit didnt have the facilities for NG feeding so if it was to happen we had to be taken to hospital where we would stay until we could manage food.
I was ripping my family apart like my dad told me that my mum wouldnt be able to come and visit me if i had to be tube fed as she couldnt handle it! I think thats when i got my first motivational moment! Anyway im going on about me to much..
I couldnt have got through it without the nurses and support staff there, they are literally there 24/7 for you to talk to, i remember crying on one of their shoulders numerous amounts of times either doen to food or bad body image days! We actually covered all the mirrors in my room because it got so bad at one point! They even used to pick out clothes for me that id feel comfortable in! They were amazing!
Because the ward i was on was just a mental health one and not particulary an eating disorder unit (which in my case i found was alot easier for me) we could do alot more! There was a college attached to my ward just for people on the unit so even though i had to leave college in january i was able to finish mu alevels there! And i think i actually cane out with better grades than i would have if i had stayed at college! Because me and the other girls with eating disorders had to be up at 8 for breakfast the nurses then had a good few hours to spend with us hnyil everyone else woke up so they used to take us out shopping (round tesco, nothing speciall) and take us to do some art or anything creative!
There is so much to do on the unit, i am aware its not the same in every inpatient setting but i went to visit another unit specifically for eating disorders  and they had pretty much the same set up, they had rooms for eating, learning, relaxing and a main lounge room and everyone got along so well!
Now the eating.. Its not easy, yea there are triggering moments, and people dont always know what to say but thats apart of life! When i finally got day leave and wanted to go out for my mums birthday meal to make her happy, a few of the nurses took me to the exact restaurant so i could try the meal with them and their support before going out with my family, they did the same with every meal i had at home! It was so nice to know you had a good support system!
You actuallu become friends with the nurses and support staff there and you can confide in them and know they wont judge you!
In the beginning i absoloutley HATED it there but now when i look back its the best thing to ever have happened to me, i would not be here without it! Like for real, the doctor told me i was going to die by febuary.  I needed that kick up the backside to put me into recovery mode, if you are struggling with an eating disorder and you know you arent coping then  honestly dont think an inpatient unit is the worst thing in the world, it will help you and set you on te right track!
It really highlighted  what was important ti me, only being allowed to see my mum and dad for 2 hours everyday duing visiting hours was awful and i had to fight for them!
You see doctors daily, psychologists like 3 times a week, weekly dietician appointments and there are all sorts of support groups available, family therapy, cbt, art therapy, mindefulness, compasionate skills group an many more! Going inpatient was the best thing i have ever done and i have met amazing people that i will remember forever! Ignore the negative stigma around it, yes its the hardest thing you will ever go through but my good it is eorth it to be rid  of this horrible illness and be on the road to recovery! If you hve any questions about units or my inpatient experience then please feel free to leave a comment!!
Xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

meal plans and minnie maud

oh the dreaded word, meal plan. for anyone that doesn't know what a meal plan is then let me explain it to you, you basically have to eat around 6 times a day, breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, tea and supper. When you're in hospital well in my case its certain foods, if you wanted a chocolate bar you couldn't have one, you had to have what was on the snack list, which was awful. like so bland, like a cup of milk, i don't like milk. but when you are at home and recovering the meal plans are so much more flexible, you can pick your own snacks and everything and its just so much more freeing! meal plans move up in calories (eugh i hate that word), you start off on a starter meal plan, which is basically designed to avoid re-feeding syndrome. its tiny amounts of food little and often, which is terrifying for someone just starting recovery. when you move on with recovery it becomes a lot easier, your meal plans become increased or decreased due to how

challenge that change

you are going to change, your body will change, your brain will change. this is fabulous, you shouldn't fear it. why be a bag of bones when you can have a bum, and boobs, and legs to die for and a healthy glowing face, and long thick hair like a lion and bright eyes and.. right you get the point. ask yourself, have you ever felt good enough? has loosing weigh ever made you feel good? has being severely underweight ever made you feel skinny or thin enough? no. your eating disorder feeds you lies. the worst part is that you believe them. your eating disorder is your friend right? wrong. when has it ever made you feel good, when has it ever showed you kindness. i cant count one time anorexia was my friend, or made me feel good about myself but i have lost count of how many times its put me down and made me feel terrible. learn to love yourself, you curves, your legs, your personality, your querky smile. you need to embrace it all. why live a life hating yourself whe

Loosing weight?

The heading looks misleading but it's a topic I've been thinking about a lot, let me explain. I've been physically and mentally recovered now for nearly 2 years and I've always either put on weight or stayed the same but now my body is settling into it normal life and my daily eating habits are changing with work and day trips. I've naturally lost weight, not drastic, it's literally just my body settling down and getting comfy, I think. But from past experiences it's so hard to deal with, not for me but for my family. My mum and dad become worried and are constantly egging me on to eat more and more, when I'm eating no less than I was before, it's just how my body has fluctuated. It's difficult to understand the minds of others, and rightfully they can be worried but they definitely don't need to. It's just trying to establish that trust with your family for them to not be worried, but they have single handingly seen me lie to their f